Flapping Squirrel Tail

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues - (the real) Elizabeth Taylor

Thursday, February 23, 2006

I Might Learn Russian

I'm like that creepy neighbor that is home all the time that knows the comings and goings of all the other neighbors. Ew!

Strange day. First of all, it started too early, meaning I awoke sometime after 1 a.m. feeling rather icky and then again at 5:00 a.m. to complete darkness and total quiet. It took a second to realize (okay, more than a second...) that the power was out. I sat up and looked up across the street to the Hills and yes, no power there either. I shuffled through the apartment and looked out onto the street...pitch black. Just weird. Anyway, I had to go to a thing this morning for the wine store. Basically it's like pre-screening employment-type stuff. A personality test, a urine test, a lie detector test, and interview with a large ex-LAPD officer. There I was, functioning on a really low supply of coffee and completely exhausted, being asked about my non-existent marijuana and ecstasy habits, along with my driving history and any and all gambling debts I may owe...sheesh.

Then it was off to an interview in Unnamed City in the Valley for a social worker's assistant position. I get there and walk into the room and it's all old people. Old Russian people. They proceed to stare at me with empty expressions (my grandmother will never, never end up like this, not in a million years, dammit). So I'm sitting there squirming, trying to ignore that god-awful stench coming from the kitchen and the little group of may I say very stereotypical old farts with hats on saying who-knows-what and hee-hawing in my direction. Then they all get up, say goodbye to me in broken English, and head out to where? I do not know. But they were sweet afterall...the language barrier is a tad unnerving, however.

So our ports are possibly being sold to a foreign country. I don't think that's strange in war-time, do you? I mean, what's the big f'ing deal, people? So it's suddenly a bipartisan wake-up call to all in Congress. About damn time, you fuckers.

May I ask this: (and I'm going to have to yell here, so please bear with me) WHAT THE HELL ELSE DOES THIS PRESIDENT HAVE TO DO TO CONVINCE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE THAT HE IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER TRAVESTY AND THAT HE AND HIS ADMINISTRATION NEED TO BE EJECTED INTO SPACE? Really?

Okay, I'm going to go try to collect myself and will no doubt fall asleep on the couch considering I had about two hours of sleep last night. Why the blackout was so darn fascinating is beyond me.

Oh and I got the social worker's assistant job - she offered me the job on the spot but I had a great interview yesterday with a firm I really, really liked and have another interview with an equally interesting firm on Monday...so there's that. I asked her to give me until the end of next week.

2 Comments:

Blogger danielle said...

"I'm like that creepy neighbor that is home all the time that knows the comings and goings of all the other neighbors. Ew!"

i'm sure you're not...i have a guy like that in my apartment complex. tim and i think he's on dissability, but he's always around and knows everyone by name (even the people in the complex across the parking lot!). but he's actually pretty cool - it's always nice to have a friendly "hello" every time i get home from work. so even if you do turn into "that neighbor," know that you're an important part of the workings of the neighborhood.

good luck with your interviews!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Jim91 said...

Here is something for tenants on dealing with power outages.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home