Somebody Stop the Spoilage
Why oh why do you do it, grocery stores?
You see, I like to live in a little bubble in which I think most people have a clue. Granted, it's not true. Point in fact:
Moisture causes spoilage. And yet, when you're at the grocery store in the produce aisle, what's happening to the produce? It's being sprayed with water. With moisture. Why? Because it looks prettier wet and sparkling and appeals to the consumer's eye, regardless of the fact that it causes early spoilage!
So this afternoon, I'm going through my recently-purchased spinach. I was going to cook it somehow...just didn't know how quite yet. Steamed with garlic? In a salad with vinagrette? In a frittata? Creamed? The washed, bagged, and dried spinach is more expensive than the bundled, wet kind. I figure, I'm poor and I've got time. So I bought the bundled, wet kind. I rinse the spinach and start picking out all the damn rotten leaves and other whatnot. I put the wet stuff in the lettuce spinner (this is great to dry off the leaves). Well, I've never actually used this particular lettuce spinner. It made me very angry because the crank wouldn't turn so I ended up having a temper tantrum and throwing said lettuce spinner into the garbage and yelling at it. If it wasn't bound for destruction in the junk yard, after what I said to it would eventually lead to its suicide. But that's not the point here.
The point is this: why grocery stores, WHY?
If you didn't make the spinach wet in the first place, I could have avoided the whole temper tantrum of earlier this afternoon and had a nice peaceful fun cooking time thinking up something to do with the spinach to complement the currently-thawing-out chicken breast! Damn you, grocery stores!
I believe that if just ONE grocery store stood up and said, "We will no longer contribute to the premature spoiling of our produce just so it will look pretty" that all other grocery stores would follow suit.
Come on grocery stores, which one of you is it going to be?
You see, I like to live in a little bubble in which I think most people have a clue. Granted, it's not true. Point in fact:
Moisture causes spoilage. And yet, when you're at the grocery store in the produce aisle, what's happening to the produce? It's being sprayed with water. With moisture. Why? Because it looks prettier wet and sparkling and appeals to the consumer's eye, regardless of the fact that it causes early spoilage!
So this afternoon, I'm going through my recently-purchased spinach. I was going to cook it somehow...just didn't know how quite yet. Steamed with garlic? In a salad with vinagrette? In a frittata? Creamed? The washed, bagged, and dried spinach is more expensive than the bundled, wet kind. I figure, I'm poor and I've got time. So I bought the bundled, wet kind. I rinse the spinach and start picking out all the damn rotten leaves and other whatnot. I put the wet stuff in the lettuce spinner (this is great to dry off the leaves). Well, I've never actually used this particular lettuce spinner. It made me very angry because the crank wouldn't turn so I ended up having a temper tantrum and throwing said lettuce spinner into the garbage and yelling at it. If it wasn't bound for destruction in the junk yard, after what I said to it would eventually lead to its suicide. But that's not the point here.
The point is this: why grocery stores, WHY?
If you didn't make the spinach wet in the first place, I could have avoided the whole temper tantrum of earlier this afternoon and had a nice peaceful fun cooking time thinking up something to do with the spinach to complement the currently-thawing-out chicken breast! Damn you, grocery stores!
I believe that if just ONE grocery store stood up and said, "We will no longer contribute to the premature spoiling of our produce just so it will look pretty" that all other grocery stores would follow suit.
Come on grocery stores, which one of you is it going to be?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home