Tony and Stephanie
I have a very important announcement. Quit thinking about Israel and Lebanon and Iraq and the heat wave and what an ass Mel Gibson is.
And just think about this: that I'm going to make the dorkiest CD ever known to man. It will comprise the following songs in this particular order:
1-Baker Street (Jerry Rafferty)
2-Right Down the Line (Jerry Rafferty)
3-Kiss You All Over (Exile)
4-Don't Let Him Go (Reo Speedwagon ("RS"))
5-Keep on Loving You (RS)
6-Follow My Heart (RS)
7-In Your Letter (RS)
8-Take It On the Run (RS)
9-Don't Stop Believin' (Journey ("J"))
10-Wheel in the Sky (J)
11-Any Way You Want It (J)
12-Who's Crying Now (J)
13-Lights (J)
14-Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (J)
And yes, I lost respect for myself a looooong time ago with regards to my musical tastes, so you can't make me feel ashamed or bad or stupid or any of that. I find that when I want to hear one of those ridiculous songs above, I tend to want to hear all the rest of those ridiculous songs as well. Why scramble for the CDs when I could have them all together? Right! And why keep your ridiculous musical tastes to yourself when you could share them? Right again!
Unfortunately, I've only got Quarterflash on vinyl so I can't add them to the CD (and those songs would be, of course, Harden My Heart and Find Another Fool...duh!)
Ahhh...there's so much bad good music out there in the world...
For some reason the music of the late 70s and early 80s that my parents listened to really imprinted itself into my brain. My mother has a picture of me when I was 5, laying on the floor with my blankie over me, with headphones on connected to the stereo, listening to Tom Petty's first album. I was serious about that shit, man. Tom Petty's first album does not belong in the dorky CD mix, either. No way, no how. I will defend Bob Seger with equal voracity. You screw with Seger, them's be fightin' words. (Granted I don't like anything he did after 1982, but still - it seems to have coincided with him cutting off his long, stringy 70s hair...hmm)
C and I were having a discussion (via email) yesterday about what time period we would like to live in if given the choice. She is fascinated with the 40s and 50s and WWII. I think it is because C is a 'lady.' She's courteous, well-mannered, doesn't typically swear, and is so gracious...she would do fine in 1945 with having 'gentlemen' pull her chair out for her, open the door for her, and expect her to act accordingly. I, on the other hand...would say 'fuck' in one too many sentences, be thinking of what someone across the table might look like naked, turn red, say something weird, appear guilty and strange, and be ultimately unlady-like. So I couldn't think of a time I would choose to live in other than right now. I couldn't stand making the headway our predecessors had to make as far as changing attitudes about women...right now at least I can buy into the facade that people aren't sexist anymore. Of course it's still there, but it's not so damn blatant.
I accidentally watched "Look Who's Talking" the other day. I can't believe that movie was ever popular. What a dumb freakin' movie. And what was UP with John Travolta's PANTS? I didn't think any type of clothing could ever make Mr. Travolta look bad. I mean think of what he pulled off in Saturday Night Fever. But throw some 80s jeans on the man and watch out.
You know, there's a sexist movie: Saturday Night Fever. Although it does have one of my absolute favorite movie lines of all time. Tony and Stephanie are walking home after coffee (make that tea with lemon - or lemon with tea, if you're Tony and don't know how to order tea with lemon) Anyway, he wants to walk her home and she had turned him down the times before. Finally she starts crossing the street away from him, and he gets frustrated and says, "Come on Stephanie, lemme walk you home!" and she turns around in the middle of the street, looks back at him, and in her thick Brooklyn accent says, "You should'na asked, you shoulda just done it!" And then he sighs and says something like, "Hot stuff" or something dumb like that...but I love that line: "You should'na asked, you shoulda just done it..."
Yeah, time to watch Saturday Night Fever again...good thing I own it.
And just think about this: that I'm going to make the dorkiest CD ever known to man. It will comprise the following songs in this particular order:
1-Baker Street (Jerry Rafferty)
2-Right Down the Line (Jerry Rafferty)
3-Kiss You All Over (Exile)
4-Don't Let Him Go (Reo Speedwagon ("RS"))
5-Keep on Loving You (RS)
6-Follow My Heart (RS)
7-In Your Letter (RS)
8-Take It On the Run (RS)
9-Don't Stop Believin' (Journey ("J"))
10-Wheel in the Sky (J)
11-Any Way You Want It (J)
12-Who's Crying Now (J)
13-Lights (J)
14-Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (J)
And yes, I lost respect for myself a looooong time ago with regards to my musical tastes, so you can't make me feel ashamed or bad or stupid or any of that. I find that when I want to hear one of those ridiculous songs above, I tend to want to hear all the rest of those ridiculous songs as well. Why scramble for the CDs when I could have them all together? Right! And why keep your ridiculous musical tastes to yourself when you could share them? Right again!
Unfortunately, I've only got Quarterflash on vinyl so I can't add them to the CD (and those songs would be, of course, Harden My Heart and Find Another Fool...duh!)
Ahhh...there's so much bad good music out there in the world...
For some reason the music of the late 70s and early 80s that my parents listened to really imprinted itself into my brain. My mother has a picture of me when I was 5, laying on the floor with my blankie over me, with headphones on connected to the stereo, listening to Tom Petty's first album. I was serious about that shit, man. Tom Petty's first album does not belong in the dorky CD mix, either. No way, no how. I will defend Bob Seger with equal voracity. You screw with Seger, them's be fightin' words. (Granted I don't like anything he did after 1982, but still - it seems to have coincided with him cutting off his long, stringy 70s hair...hmm)
C and I were having a discussion (via email) yesterday about what time period we would like to live in if given the choice. She is fascinated with the 40s and 50s and WWII. I think it is because C is a 'lady.' She's courteous, well-mannered, doesn't typically swear, and is so gracious...she would do fine in 1945 with having 'gentlemen' pull her chair out for her, open the door for her, and expect her to act accordingly. I, on the other hand...would say 'fuck' in one too many sentences, be thinking of what someone across the table might look like naked, turn red, say something weird, appear guilty and strange, and be ultimately unlady-like. So I couldn't think of a time I would choose to live in other than right now. I couldn't stand making the headway our predecessors had to make as far as changing attitudes about women...right now at least I can buy into the facade that people aren't sexist anymore. Of course it's still there, but it's not so damn blatant.
I accidentally watched "Look Who's Talking" the other day. I can't believe that movie was ever popular. What a dumb freakin' movie. And what was UP with John Travolta's PANTS? I didn't think any type of clothing could ever make Mr. Travolta look bad. I mean think of what he pulled off in Saturday Night Fever. But throw some 80s jeans on the man and watch out.
You know, there's a sexist movie: Saturday Night Fever. Although it does have one of my absolute favorite movie lines of all time. Tony and Stephanie are walking home after coffee (make that tea with lemon - or lemon with tea, if you're Tony and don't know how to order tea with lemon) Anyway, he wants to walk her home and she had turned him down the times before. Finally she starts crossing the street away from him, and he gets frustrated and says, "Come on Stephanie, lemme walk you home!" and she turns around in the middle of the street, looks back at him, and in her thick Brooklyn accent says, "You should'na asked, you shoulda just done it!" And then he sighs and says something like, "Hot stuff" or something dumb like that...but I love that line: "You should'na asked, you shoulda just done it..."
Yeah, time to watch Saturday Night Fever again...good thing I own it.

1 Comments:
Oh! Thanks... NOW I have to go download "Harden My Heart" because it's just been soooo long since I've heard it.
Post a Comment
<< Home