Flapping Squirrel Tail

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues - (the real) Elizabeth Taylor

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Weird Hollywood Places

After work today I went over to the hotel that my ex-neighbors are staying in for the month to drop off a message. Apparently neighbor K had left a certain company my number for contact purposes even though she said she didn't know how said company got my number. No matter. It was a good excuse for a nice long walk down my street and then down Hollywood Blvd. for a bit.

Now this is one strange hotel. Interesting folks milling about outside. Interesting folks milling about inside. Neighbors are on the 5th floor...I milled about myself trying to find the elevator. Couldn't find it, so took the stairs. Now this hotel is very old - I think it was probably built in the 20s or even earlier. It had an old, creepy, it's-definitely-haunted-with-who-knows-what kind of feel. Numerous long and windy narrow hallways, weirdly happy paint, creaky floors. This place is great.

Once on the 5th floor I went the wrong direction and ended up in the creepiest hallway yet. It was "unfinished." Apparently the entire place is under some renovation. But this particular wing has been left untouched, for whatever reason, for a very long time. The doors were too short - about 3 inches off the floors with really bright light showing underneath and wind whistling through. Some doors had big boards up against them. The whole wing was neglected and I got the distinct impression I probably should not be traipsing about in that area because who knows if some oddities could be lurking behind those doors...

I finally find their room and it's at the end of another corridor by an open window and fire escape stairs. Downtown L.A. opened before me in the afternoon's bright haze...I knock on the door and K hands me the money I had given to her on Sunday...I gave her the message, we talked about my work. She asked if I had found the elevator, I told her no. She took me to it. It's one of those platform jobs with the metal gate you open and close yourself? You watch each floor very slowly pass by through a circle in a door as you descend...

Odd experience. A little surreal.

I took a different street home and walked past two middle-aged men shooting the shit on the sidewalk in front of their homes. I got the "ooo la-la" from one of them. I thanked him and gave a little bow, much to his amusement. What the hell. I don't care who says it, I never get tired of men who believe they must vocalize their appreciation. This makes me a terrible feminist. Don't think I don't realize this. My mother would be so disappointed.

Well, I've been very good so far. I didn't drink at all last week until Saturday night, and here it is Wednesday and not a drop. I'm like a regular teetotaler! (Ooo, I hate those people!) Right after I moved here I dated this guy that didn't drink. We were at a bar and he was ordering iced tea. It was just weird.

1 Comments:

Blogger danielle said...

hotel california, perhaps?

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home