Flapping Squirrel Tail

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues - (the real) Elizabeth Taylor

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

News of the Weird

Eating lunch at my desk today (I know, I know, but it's HOT out there!), I ran across this article on MSNBC News. Here's an excerpt:

"SOUTH PLAINFIELD, N.J. - Police were looking for a nude dancer who kept six human skulls and a human hand in a Mason jar in her home here after the woman failed to show up for a court arraignment on Wednesday.

Linda Kay, 31, faces charges of improperly disposing of human remains."

Okay, that's weird. But here's my question: are you allowed to even be in possession of human remains? Does properly disposing of human remains only involve a funeral home? How does that work exactly?

Here's another excerpt from the same article:

"Officers on Friday responded to a report of a man wanting to kill himself with a hammer, but instead discovered Freddy inside a jar filled with formaldehyde on a dresser in a bedroom. Six human skulls were found in an upstairs bedroom, South Plainfield Police Capt. Paul Brembt said."

He was threatening to kill himself with a hammer, huh? And the police believed him enough to send someone over? Oh, I should tell you who Freddy is (or was):

"Friends say the hand, which Kay nicknamed "Freddy," was a gift from a medical student who frequented the all-nude juice bar where Kay dances. Kay's mother told The Star-Ledger of Newark she believed the skulls were bought from a mail-order catalog."

And here's the answer to the body disposal question (at least in New Jersey):

"...it's a felony in New Jersey to disturb, move or conceal human remains."

Okay, moving on.

Today on my way to work I was driving my usual way down Hollywood Blvd. But they were diverting us to Sunset or Franklin because part of it was blocked off (around the Kodak Theater). I really hate when they do this - it's usually such a decent commute, 15 minutes and I'm there. But when they divert and block it off it takes forever. Anyway, I make a bad decision and head up to Franklin rather than Sunset and as I'm sitting there, trying to figure out how I'm going to merge onto Highland and that yep, I'll be late to work and this really sucks, guess who walks in front of my car?! Robert Duvall!

Now no doubt I saw 'Lonesome Dove' at a tender age, but I have to admit I'm a fan. So there I was, chewing on my finger (one of my many bad habits) and he actually looked at me, eye contact and everything, and there I am with my finger in my mouth, chewing away, thinking, holy shit, that's Robert Duvall! So he walks past (and he was wearing Wrangler jeans, I might add) and this other guy crosses in front of my car going the other direction. He's a young guy and he's carrying a towel in his hand. He just passes me and then turns, faces me, lowers the towel, and there's a great big lizard/reptile/gecko-type creature in the towel. He takes a step towards me and says, "Would you trust HIM with your auto insurance?!" And then he walked off.

So that was my morning. I only ended up being about 10 minutes late.

1 Comments:

Blogger danielle said...

oh l.a....

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home