Flapping Squirrel Tail

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues - (the real) Elizabeth Taylor

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Parental Visitation

Did I mention that my parents were in town visiting?

Well, that's where I have been for the last week and a half. They left yesterday. I will miss them greatly. That said, they also made me appreciate being alone again. I told them that and they were glad to hear it. I certainly didn't mean it in a negative way; I've been very clingy, needy, and unable to be alone over the past month or so, so it's a very positive thing.

I've lived here in this apartment since October of last year. It took my parents visiting to meet my annoying upstairs neighbor; you know the one that plays guitar and is generally obnoxious? Anyhow, it was really hot one night and my dad was out front of my door playing my acoustic guitar and puffing on his pipe. That brought my neighbor downstairs (Dean! he has a name!) to comment on the guitar, my dad's playing, and the "good-smelling" pipe tobacco and ultimately pass him an invite to his show that night at a club in Los Feliz. Yep, my dad got invited out to a club where a 20-something was playing. My dad's still cool, apparently. And obviously much cooler than me. He also wanted to go but my mother and I are stick-in-the-muds. Besides, I can listen to that doofus play every night anyway from the comforts of my own home, right? My mother looked at the pass and exclaimed, "I know that place! I knew that place from the 60s!" Lordy.

On Saturday we took a trip up to the Santa Ynez wine region, around Santa Barbara.

http://www.syvva.com/

It's about 2 hours north of L.A. I had no idea it was the area Sideways was filmed until we drove past the Hitching Post and the hotel that the two guys stayed at with the windmill...we also drove into Solvang, the little Dutch town that was in the movie...it is beautiful country and I plan on returning. And returning. And returning some more. I ate some authentic German food (yeah, I know, it's a Dutch town, but there was German food on the menu!) and yummy! I love a knock wurst, potato pancake, and sauerkraut...what can I say? Actually I had never had sauerkraut before until then...it's good stuff!

Good god who is playing the Sex Pistols? I can hear it and it's bothering me. I love punk more than the next person but the Sex Pistols? No. Argh! Turn it off!

Sorry. What else? I suppose the trip up to wine country was the most noteworthy of our adventures...maybe. While eating at a restaurant in my neighborhood on the 4th of July, my dad looked out the restaurant window and said, "Those guys are smoking crack!" I responded with, "Maybe it's just hashish!" But no, it was crack...there they stood by my car smoking their crack pipe. Ahhh, Hollywood.

Did manage to spend some time with E over the weekend. I don't know what we're doing and I don't think he knows either. At least we're clueless together.

1 Comments:

Blogger danielle said...

my mom and siblings will be visiting later this month, and we just had friends leave, so i understand the need to enjoy alone time and do nothing.

sounds like you guys had fun though!

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home