Flapping Squirrel Tail

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues - (the real) Elizabeth Taylor

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Unemployment Welcomes Thee

Yep, got canned. I came down with the flu and apparently my employer did not have enough faith in me to believe me when I told her I was ill. Good thing is, I haven't been this damn happy since I moved to L.A. It's funny, because on Monday of last week I had just decided that I officially wanted to leave that firm - talked to my recruiter and everything. She told me to finish out this past week and complete this upcoming week - two weeks and all, good reference. I agreed to that then promptly became ill and missed three days. Anyway, went to the doctor and had some blood drawn to test for anemia and check my lovely thyroid levels (got thyroid disease, fun stuff, on a pill the rest of my life to regulate it) and while having said blood drawn, promptly fainted. Funny thing, I always watch the needle go in and never have a problem with watching the blood - kind of interests me, as a matter of fact. This time, I was watching my blood pump into the millionth vial (the doctor called it the 'Hollywood Blood Panel' - I kid you not- no telling what STDs are included on that one - it just brings to mind such - well, negative connotations...) and I'm watching the pumping blood and I told the sweet guy taking my blood that, "um, I think I'm going to faint" and he goes, "you are?" and I said, "yep" and he goes, "okay, I need you to lie back really slowly" and I just went out - gone. I heard my phone ring while I was passing out.

The caller turned out to be! Yay! a person at a wine broker. I had applied for a job last week (hey, I wasn't that sick) and she was callling to let me know she had gotten my resume and wanted to talk...I'm so incredibly happy about this job - IhopeIhope it's what I'm looking for and vice versa...

So, $140 to get the 'Hollywood Blood Panel' and be told I had the flu and get my thyroid med Rx (another $25) refilled. Don't ya love not having health insurance? Yeesh.

So I hear the Steelers won.

This morning I was shuffling out with a crazed Simon (he's a morning dog - loves to take his morning pee beyond all rational thought) and just as I'm walking past my Filipino neighbor's door, she opens it and I look at her, and she's holding 4 freshly-picked lemons in her hand and shoves them at me. She asks me, "do you want lemons?" and I say, "oh - yeah!" or something like that, and she shoves them at me again, and Simon's yanking on his leash, and I say, "all of them?" and she goes, "yes! I was waiting for you to come out!" So I took all the lemons and went back to my apartment with a very grumpy dog, dropped off the lemons, and then took Simon out. I have such nice neighbors. Seriously - I lived in Dallas for how many years and never, not once, did I have any kind of relationship with any of my neighbors, other than wanting to kill them all because they were all annoying and loud as hell. And now, in L.A. of all places, I've got these wonderful neighbors that give me free fruit! And say hi. And hold my packages that get delivered to the front door until I come home from the uh, job I don't have anymore...

4 Comments:

Blogger danielle said...

well...both congrats and good luck to you. i'm sure not having to worry about a job you're not happy at lifts a HUGE weight off your shoulders. i hope the wine job works out for you....and hell, even if it doesn't have benefits, i bet you can always snag a bottle of wine here and there.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Hey, welcome to the unemployment line. (Been here since… umm never mind that.) Since you already had another job respond to you, I guess you don’t need the lawn chair I found for you. Sylvia says it is shocking you have nice neighbors in L.A. She said and I quote, “That’s funny, neighbors who say 'Hi' and not 'Get off my lawn'”

10:46 AM  
Blogger Sublime said...

WEll, I personally think you should be a shoe in for the job, considering how much wine you drink. Lol...that came out WAY wrong!! I mean, because you KNOW so much about wine.

Hope you are feeling better. I only have half a thyroid. I had a tumor 8 years ago so they cut it out, along with half my thyroid. Luckily I don't have to take any meds for it.

"....From the South Bay to the Valley. From the West Side to the East Side. Everybody's very happy
'Cause the sun is shining all the time. Looks like another perfect day. I love L.A. (We love it)..."

Take care,
Sublime

11:33 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Taylor said...

Thanks for the support, you wonderful people! Yes Danielle, it IS a huge weight off my shoulders-that exactly desribes it. Sublime, glad you got to keep your thyroid and that it's functioning. Mine is functioning but I've got an autoimmune reaction to it. Apparently my body doesn't understand it's supposed to have a thyroid...LM, your lawn chair comment made me laugh out loud ;-)

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home