Flapping Squirrel Tail

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues - (the real) Elizabeth Taylor

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Confusion and Barbed Wire

I can't remember if I've had this conversation before with someone or if I dreamed it. But anyway, I was driving down the freeway recently and happened to notice these coils of barbed wire on all of the highway signs that are attached to overpasses. I thought it might serve two purposes: 1) it keeps people from walking down onto the sign's platform and a) committing suicide, or b) jumping off onto the freeway because of drugs or stupidity; and 2) it keeps people from spraying on graffiti. Then I thought, well, it must serve both. And then yesterday I'm driving and notice the damned wire again and remember that someone answered my question and that it's graffiti-related. But then I don't remember who told me or if I was actually told or if like I said, I actually dreamed it and just decided it was graffiti. Well what the hell, I'd like someone to answer my damn question. What's up with the barbed wire?

For several years now I have been very bothered by the people that stand at intersections and hold up signs and ask for money/food/work. It's like this hideous moral dilemma you must wage against yourself every day. On the one hand I feel very sympathetic for these reasons: 1) many are homeless because they are mentally ill and have no support network; 2) mentally competent people have shit happen and may have no support network, and 3) some people just need a little help. So I'm sitting there in my car, that I purchased new in 2004, coming home from my job, dressed in my nice work clothes, and I can't fork over a buck or two to help someone out?

And then I think: right. I'm coming back from work. I have thousands of dollars in student loans I'm still paying on, I'm in credit card hell (many reasons for that one), and I don't like being forced into some fucked-up moral dilemma when I'm tired, when I'm breathing, when I'm sitting - you get the point. Don't stand there and stare at me and make me feel guilty! How do I know you're not some bizarro scam artist? People are and have done stranger things. And if you are legit? What do I owe you? I have nothing to do with you.

But...I do. Our paths crossed. But what do I owe a stranger asking for help?

I don't know. This is why it bothers me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sublime said...

Lol... I feel the same way. I am always thankful when the intersection has a green light instead of red. I will actually speed up at a yellow light if I see them too...lol.

Fuck it... make funny faces at them through your window instead, or give them the finger.

If they are legit, they will pray for you. If not, they'll give you the finger back. :)

Sublime

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home